by Lucy Sternburgh, MS RCEP, Manager, Employee Wellness & Community Health Promotion, Beaumont Health System
Many Americans spend a majority of their day working behind a desk. Are you struggling to make it through your long work day? In just a few minutes, these exercises can get you moving and help improve your muscle tone while at your desk. These simple exercises will help you maintain your New Year’s resolution, feel stronger, keep you focused and ready to get back to work.
Get started on these five exercises to start feeling energized!
- Arms – Keep two full water bottles at your desk. You can use the two water bottles as weights to increase difficultly of your bicep curl. Start by holding one water bottle in each hand down at your side. Keep elbows close to your body and lift each arm by bending your elbows.
- Stomach Vacuum – Sit up straight in your chair and draw belly button into spine tightening your stomach muscles and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 3-5 times.
- Gluteal Squeeze – Tense up muscles of your rear end and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat 10-12 times.
- Tricep Dips – Put your arms behind your back, resting your palms on your desk then slowly lower yourself until your elbows reach 90 degrees and then raise yourself back up to starting position. Repeat 10-12 times.
- Leg Extensions– Sit up straight in your chair keeping your arms to your side for leverage. Extend your right leg until it is level with your hip tightening your thigh muscle. Hold for 3 to 5 seconds then lower back to starting position. Repeat this action 10-12 times and then switch legs.
What do you do to add some activity to your work day? Share some of your tips below: