Today is National Walking Day! It’s a great day to raise awareness of the importance of physical activity and to give your friends, family and coworkers a friendly push toward a healthier life. Heart disease is this country’s number one killer, but by exercising for as little as 30 minutes each day you can reduce your risk.
The American Heart Association recommends that you walk more, eat better to live a longer, healthier life. Regular physical activity is believed to lower blood pressure, improve bone health, maintain a healthy weight and lead to better sleep and more energy.
Beaumont is sponsoring several upcoming walks to show their commitment to you living a longer and healthier life. Check out our list of upcoming sponsored walks for 2013:
- April 6 – American Cancer Society’s 2013 Rear Saver 5k/8k
- May 4 – Breathe Deep Michigan/LUNGevity Foundation
- May 11 – 2013 Hometown Hustle 5K Fun Run
- May 11 – Arthritis Walk
- June 2 – Kidney Walk at the Detroit Zoo
- June 8 – American Heart Walk
- June 22 – Metro Detroit Take Steps for Crohn’s & Colitis
- June 29 – Run/Walk Boom!!!
- August 24 – Walk to End Alzheimer’s
- September 14 – American Diabetes Association Walk
- October 6 – Torch Relay
Do you have a favorite walking path in your neighborhood or community? Share your ideas in the comments below.